Thursday, 23 May 2013

Top 10 Zombie Movies

I thought this list would be quite hard to make, because there are so many zombie movies. Luckily, 99% of all the zombie movies ever made are terrible, which made it all a lot easier. I'm sure I forget some really good memorable zombie movies, but these are the ones that are my favorites right now.

10. Dead Snow

What a brilliant master piece. It's absolutely ridiculous, but I almost died of laughing. Nazi zombies, who ever came up with it is my hero. I think it took a lot of courage to make this movie. 
The first time I saw it, I was watching it with a 'WTF is this?!' look on my face, but I'll have to admit, it's quite brilliant. It's funny, filled with gore and not even slightly scary. Amazing. 
I do think not everybody can appreciate this movie, which is kinda logical, but for those who can, I really recommend this movie if you love a ridiculous zombie movie.













9. Zombieland

Another funny zombie movie is Zombieland. It's not really scary, although at some point a creepy zombie clown shows up. I really like this movie because it has some humor in it. Also, the tips you learn through the movie kinda stick to you and every other zombie movie you watch after it, you immediately say 'Double tap!'. It's really an useful tip you know.
I didn't bother to start watching the TV show, because it seemed boring, so I can't compare those. But I can't imagine that anybody who plays Tallahassee and isn't Woody Harrelson will come out very good. 
Anyway, Zombieland is a very funny zombie movie, and for those who haven't seen it yet, it's really recommendable.











8. [Rec] 3: Genesis

Many people will disagree with me, but I thought [Rec]3: Genesis was better than [Rec]2. I thought the story was a lot more fun, although the ending was a bit lame. [Rec]2 really goes on with were [Rec] left of, which was a bit boring after a while. Anyway, I thought this was a really good movie, and if you've read my review you know why. I loved how they switched from hand camera to normal filming, the switch between them was shown very creative I think. Overall, this movie is quite bad ass. Look at that poster, a bride with a chainsaw. How amazing is that?!














7. Fido

This movie is absolutely not scary, but it does have a good story. In this movie the zombies aren't such a threat anymore, because they all have electronic devices on their neck to control their zombie habits. This way, people can use them in their house to do the cleaning or things like that. I liked this movie a lot because it wasn't the typical zombie movie filled with blood were everybody of the main persons get bit except for one or two. It was a really surprising movie in comparison with other zombie movies.














6. 28 Weeks Later

This movie was not as good as 28 Days Later, but still well enough. The story was very different but still amusing. I loved seeing people like Rose Byrne, Robert Carlyle and Jeremy Renner in it. Those are people you wouldn't see in a movie like this anytime soon I think. I heard there will also come a 28 Months Later but that's not sure yet. I hope it will come eventually, I really like Danny Boyle's movies and another movie in this series will be amazing. We can only hope and wait!














5. Dawn of the Dead (original and remake)

It was hard to choose between the old and new Dawn of the Dead. I think they're both really good but I did enjoy the new Dawn of the Dead a bit more. I could put both of them in this list but that would be a bit of a waste of space. So for the original Dawn of the Dead, here is your honorable mentioning! I think the new Dawn of the Dead was one of the first zombie movies I ever saw, I'm not sure but that's the only one I can remember seeing when I was young. I thought it was really good back then and I still like watching it. I think I've seen this movie literally 30 times or something, and while it's not that refreshing anymore, it's still fun to watch. 













4. Shaun of the Dead

I absolutely love this movie. I remember watching it after Dawn of the Dead and this movie was so amazing. It's not only because I'm a big fan of the combination of Nick Frost and Simon Pegg, it's just everything. The script was amazing, great dialogues, great camerawork, nice music and the humor was also amazing. I think there's not one Edgar Wright movie that I don't like, but this one really tops all of the other ones.















3. [Rec]


This was the first found footage movie I saw after seeing Blair Witch Project. Since I loved the found footage concept this movie equally amazed me as much as the Blair Witch. Zombies and found footage = amazing. However, in the last couple of years the found footage concept was a bit overused thanks to Paranormal Activity. I see [Rec] as a fairly early found footage movie (that is a well known movie) and that's why I love it so much. I was new at that time and while the story still is a bit confusing, I love the movie.













2. 28 Days Later


I'm not really sure why I like this movie so much. I know my friends all hated it but I think it's a very good movie. It's made by Danny Boyle which is always a good thing, and the cast includes Cillian Murphy and Naomie Harris, two actors who I both love. The beginning scene of this movie reminded me a lot of the beginning of The Walking Dead, and I do think that The Walking Dead might have been inspired by this scene (however, I do not know when the comic came out and how the story started there, so this is just a guess). Anyway, I love movies where the 'apocalypse' has already been going on for a few days instead for movies that start on the days that the apocalypse started. In these movies ,like 28 Days Later, you see a lot of empty cities, something beautiful but also something scary. Anyway, this is my second favorite zombie movie!










1. Planet Terror


And here is my number one favorite zombie movie! Planet Terror! I'm a big fan of Robert Roderiguez. I love Grindhouse, I love Death Proof and I love all the fake trailers in between the two movies. Just amazing. It was amazing that they gave this old look to the movie, and it was even more amazing how they tried to make the dialogues as cheesy as possible, and still make an amazing movie. Other movies that I like from Robert Rodriguez are Sin City and From Dusk Till Dawn, it's amazing how you can recognize his style in every movie he mades. However, sometimes it's a lot like Quentin Tarantino's so you might make a small mistake between that. Anyway, the acting is great in this movie, there is amazing music and the action is incredible. There is nothing about this movie that I don't love so that of course why it's on the first place!











Honorable mentions: Night of the Living Dead, The Walking Dead (it isn't a movie, but I love it so much it has to be mentioned), [Rec]2, Resident Evil, The Crazies









9 comments:

  1. Very bold move leaving Romero's 1978 Dawn of the Dead off your Top 10. Better hope no zombie purists read your list lol. Solid list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did make a honorable mentioning of the original at Dawn of the Dead. I did not put both of them on the list because I couldn't choose which one I liked better ;).

      Delete
    2. I agree with you I liked the new one better, but zombie fanatics will flip out if you ever admit that. Glad you finally watched Walking Dead. Kind of puts most zombie movies to shame.

      Delete
  2. Nice list! I would also include Night of the Living Dead (1968), Day of the Dead (1985), and Re-Animator. Juan of the Dead is supposed to be good although I haven't seen it yet. Also, I don't know if you'd consider Pontypool or The Signal to be zombie movies, but both are quite good. I wouldn't say Cemetery Man fits the zombie mold; however, others might disagree. Either way, it was excellent and worth checking out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice list! Have you seen the Demons movies? If you enjoyed [Rec] 3, you might have a good time with those, they're similarly fast-paced, fun and bad-ass. What's also similar to the [Rec] movies is that rather than typical zombies, they are driven by demonic possession.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I have not seen any of those movies, but I will certainly check them out! Thanks for letting me know!

      Delete
  4. Very helpful blog! It is easy to use, and answered all my questions! I will be back after I finish my first set of Zombie movies I got from the list!
    Check out our Pseudo-Zombie Films page to find out what's what.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Try A Little Bit Zombie, Zombies of Mass Destruction, and Aaah! Zombies!!(also released as Wasting Away) for some laughs!

    ReplyDelete

You might also like..