Friday 1 February 2013

Review: Halloween (2007)

Halloween (2007)
IMDB rate: 6,0
Genre: Slasher

I have to start this review with saying that I never saw the original Halloween. I have seen a bit of Halloween H20: 20 years later, but never the complete movie. I also the original Halloween and H20 on dvd, but I still didn't get around seeing them. I probably should have watched the original before I watched the remake but okay, a bit too late for that. At first I also wanted to watch Halloween 2 (2009) after the first one, but I knew it wasn't really a good movie, so it didn't happen. But eventually I'll watch it, and the review will still come.

I only know Rob Zombie from his band, and I always like his songs a lot, but when I heard he made a remake of Halloween I was quite curious, because somebody who is that crazy on stage, well, he must have an interesting view on movies, I thought. Well, I liked his view of Halloween, although the movie did take a bit longer than I expected. I still haven't seen any other movies of him other than Halloween 1 and 2, so I can't really say anything specific about his style, but in Halloween 1 I think he did a good job. As I said, I'm not an expert of the Halloween series, because I never saw any of the older ones, but in my opinion this movie is reasonably good for a remake.


I loved the story of Michael Myers and how he became like this. I think Daeg Faerch is a perfect actor for playing the young Michael Myers, so good, that I never like his character in other movies, just because of this character. The older Michael Myers (Tyler Mane) is never actually shown without a mask, so I can not say a lot about him, since you never see any emotion, and he doesn't talk a lot either.. I think the past of Michael Myers is shown very well, and you don't really know if you need to feel sorry for him, or hate him for everything he does.

I still liked the part where Malcolm McDowell gave up on Michael Myers, he didn't speak for 15 years, so you can't expect the man to do anything other than that. I also liked Danny Trejo's part, he is really trying to be a sort of friend for Michael Myers, he tries to make a bound between them (unsuccessfully unfortunately), but at least he tried.


While the past story was very good, the present story was not. You see Michael Myers as a very tall grown man, with an obsession for masks. But when some guards decide to go into Michael Myers room, to fuck some other prisoner, and mess with Michael Myers, it became a bit unbelievable. I can't believe there are no camera's, other guards or anything of that sort to prevent something like this. I feel like it's a bit of the standard horror cliche, nobody will be that stupid, really nobody, except in a horror movie. Also, when Laurie sees a stranger with a mask outside the building staring at her, it wouldn't be believable to don't say anything about it to her friends. No in this case, she just continues the conversation while looking a bit confused, not really convincing.

I also thought the acting was terrible, the most disturbing being Scout Taylor-Compton (Laurie) and her friends. Not everybody was terrible, like Malcolm McDowell, Daeg Faerch and Sheri Moon Zombie. They made this movie look like a promising movie in my eyes, but unfortunately was this not right.


Somebody who is not familiar with the original Halloween, might actually like this movie. I thought it wasn't that bad, except for the acting. But someone that liked the original Halloween, will probably not like this remake.

For anybody that likes remakes, or psycho killer movies (Friday the 13th, Nightmare on Elmstreet), you'll probably enjoy this movie. I like remakes most of the time if it's a reasonable movie, but that's probably because I never have seen a original. A review of Halloween 2 will also come eventually.

My personal rate: 6/10



No comments:

Post a Comment

You might also like..