Wednesday 7 May 2014

Review: Trick 'r Treat (2007)

Trick 'r Treat
IMDB rate: 6,8
Genre: Supernatural, Comedic

I finally got my hands on a copy of Trick 'r Treat. While it's not a very scary movie, I did enjoy it at most times. The movie evolves around one night were different stories come together, comparable with Pulp Fiction. The most impressing thing about this movie are the incredible costumes. 


Five interwoven stories that occur on the same block, on the same night. A couple finds what happens when they blow a jack o' lantern out before midnight, a high school principal has a secret life as a serial killer, a college virgin might have met the right guy for her, a group of mean teens play a prank that they take too far, and a hermit is visited by a special trick or treater.

The 'story' that I loved most was the one with the disabled children in the school bus. It was heart breaking but done incredibly well. The costumes of these children were scary and even though it was a short story, it definitely is my favorite one. 

Dylan Baker's segment was also very funny, especially his conversations with his neighbor and his child are hilarious. 

The most mysterious character in the movie is the boy with the pumpkin costume. He's in every segment, but we don't actually know why. At one point there's given a slight reason which seemed acceptable, but it didn't really fit with the other segments. I liked this mysterious boy a lot at first, his costume is creepy as hell and I hoped for a bigger story about him, but unfortunately that didn't happen. Also, the moment his masks falls off, I was really disappointed by his looks. It was definitely not what I expected and in my opinion they could have made it more scary with him being more 'normal'. 

While almost everything looked very awesome and real I was slightly disappointed by the Werewolf's. They looked very fake and actually very lame.


I actually don't have a whole lot to say about this movie. I liked it the movie as a whole, it's definitely a good Halloween movie. Some segments were better than others, but like I already said, overall it's a good movie. There are many different segments that all lead to each other one way or another. It's a very varying movie which keeps it fun to watch. The timeline might be confusing at times, but I think you'll figure it out by the end of the movie. The acting is good, the stories are good. Special effects aren't much special, but not particularly bad either.

My personal rate: 7,5/10



No comments:

Post a Comment

You might also like..