Monday 26 May 2014

Review: Troll Hunter (2010)

Troll Hunter (Trolljegeren)
IMDB rate: 7,0
Genre: Comedic, Found-Footage

I remember the first time I saw the trailer of this movie, and I couldn't help but think: 'this must be a terrible movie'. But my boyfriend loved the trailer and since that moment he kept saying that he really wanted to watch this movie. So finally I gave in, with the lowest expectations ever. Damn, I don't like admitting this, but I was so wrong. 

When bears are found dead in Norway, the students of the Volda University Thomas, Johanna and the cameraman Kalle decide to investigate. They stalk the trailer of the mysterious hunter Hans expecting to find an explanation for the killings the reluctant Hans tries to flee from the youngsters, but he agrees that they film him in action provided they follow his orders. Sooner the trio of students learns that Hans is actually a troll hunter that works for a secret government agency. Further, several dangerous trolls have escaped from their territory and Hans is assigned to eliminate them.


Troll Hunter is really just about what the name already tells you, it's about a Troll Hunter. It's actually quite an improvement with other horror movies since this one is about trolls, other than the kinda standard werewolves, vampires or zombies. The trolls aren't some scary trolls sort made up to make the movie more scary, no it's kinda literally a fantasy-tale kinda troll.

The first troll we face has three heads, how more literal can you take a children's book? What I loved about this was that we got a clear look on the troll immediately. Even though it's a hand-camera movie, it looks great. When the troll wasn't seen very clearly, we get a night vision shot to show it even better. It looked really good. Most hand-camera movies seem to avoid 'the creatures' to make it more mysterious (or for themselves, cheaper), this movie really did it's best to show each troll as clearly as possible.
The trolls themselves, they really looked like they came out of a fantasy movie, so not very scary, but more dumb like. I thought it was a nice touch to the movie.

What I liked most about this movie was the fact that it wasn't 'over-the-top'. It was not like Dead Snow which was too obvious at trying to be comedic as well. It was actually exactly how it should be. It was fun, but also true to reality in many cases (besides the trolls obviously). It contained normal human reactions, and especially the rabies illness was an awesome addition. The only less fun thing was when the christian guy claimed he wasn't christian, while knowing this could lead to consequences. Another fun thing by the way, the trolls hate christians and can smell them.


The ending was a bit confusing, when the guy ran away with the cameras. Beware by the way, spoilers ahead! Here's my theory: I think that Thomas knew that Finn and stuff wanted to do something with them or their footage, so he ran off, got on the truck and got away with the footage. He died of rabies though before he was able to make a public meeting. The others of the camera crew died because of Finn. Perhaps the Trollhunter died as well, or perhaps he was the one bringing the footage to the public. I couldn't really figure it out.

An amazing thing in this movie was the last troll. It was huge and it looked incredibly awesome. It also looked very real in my opinion, always a big plus.

Troll Hunter was an amazing movie in my opinion. I expected the worst from it, but I got a movie that I recommend to a whole lot of people now. It really was worth the watch, and for those who haven't watched it yet; it's a real good movie.

My personal rate: 8/10

No comments:

Post a Comment

You might also like..