Saturday 13 December 2014

Housebound (2014)

Housebound

IMDb rate: 6,8
Genre: Comedic, Ghost
Starring: Morgana O'Reilly, Rima Te Wiata, Cameron Rhodes

Sorry for my absence, I promise I'll be updating regularly again from now on :).
 A few weeks ago I watched the movie Housebound, a movie from New Zealand. I've seen only one other horror movie from New Zealand, which is of course the magnificent Black Sheep, so well, I had high expectations of this movie! The poster of this movie looks pretty hilarious, so based upon the good looking poster I decided to watch Housebound, without any knowledge of what it was about. When I finally learned that the movie was about a girl trapped inside the house because of a warrant, I was afraid that the movie would be something like 100 Feet, thank god that wasn't the case.

Here's what Housebound is about:
Kylie Bucknell is forced to return to the house she grew up in when the court places her on home detention. Her punishment is made all the more unbearable by the fact she has to live there with her mother Miriam - a well-intentioned blabbermouth who's convinced that the house is haunted. Kylie dismisses Miriam's superstitions as nothing more than a distraction from a life occupied by boiled vegetables & small town gossip. However, when she too becomes privy to unsettling whispers & strange bumps in the night, she begins to wonder wheter she's inherited her overactive imagination, or if the house is in fact possessed by a hostile spirit who's less than happy about the new living arrangement.


The first thing that's noticeable about Housebound is the atmosphere, it's somewhat dark but also not very serious. This feeling is being highlighted by the many sarcastic remarks made by the main character Kylie Bucknell. There's not a whole lot of music playing in the background, and when there is music it's very dark. It's gives a bit of a crazy vibe over the movie, because it's so sarcastic and somewhat comedic and yet so dark.

Great acting, Morgana O'Reilly plays the rebellious Kylie Bucknell and she did a great job doing so. I liked her character as well, mainly a rebel but also with a nicer side. I felt sorry for her mother many times, great character writing. The mother played by Rima Te Wiata did an amazing job as well, the role of a sweet caring mother who isn't turning her back on her rebellious daughter was perfect for Rima Te Wiata. I wished to have seen more of the character of the stepfather tough, played by Ross Harper. 


The ending was slightly confusing because there suddenly was a whole lot going on, but overall I really enjoyed watching Housebound. It wasn't a standard ghost movie like we normally see and it wasn't necessarily predictable either. Normally comedic horror movies are more funny than scary, but this movie was actually somewhat scary as well. For example, the toy bear, creepy as hell. It did a great job at combining the two I think. Housebound was an entertaining movie, on moments it was a bit weird, but overall I enjoyed this movie from New Zealand!

My rate: 7,5/10

No comments:

Post a Comment

You might also like..