Monday 1 December 2014

The Walking Dead: Season 5, episode 8: Coda

This review will NOT be spoiler free!

The mid-season finale has aired! Now we'll have to wait until 8 February '15 to be further bored with this show. Of course I'm exaggerating a bit, this episode wasn't too bad. But was it really spectacular? No. It was pretty much like I predicted it would be, the only thing that surprised me somewhat was the person who died this episode. Yes, someone died this episode, and if you're bothered with me mentioning it you should know that I warned you on the top :). Now, if you really don't want to know anything further then I suggest you stop reading now because names will be mentioned.

I think it's pretty important to warn people about spoilers, because this morning I was scrolling through Instagram and the Instagram page of AMC The Walking Dead decided to post 2 or 3 pictures of that one person with R.I.P. written next to it, meaning I knew this morning who died already when I haven't seen the episode yet. That sucked pretty hard because this was finally an episode that finally could be something interesting, but well, that was pretty much crushed for me. So, again, last warning, spoilers will follow!

This episode wasn't necessarily good, but it wasn't bad either. I think what made it most exciting was the fact that something badass finally happened again, this being that one of the main characters died. It's actually somewhat stupid that they wait until the finales to kill someone again, I hope they won't make this a regular thing because things would become boring and predictable very easily that way.


Even though I saw spoilers before seeing the episode, I was glad to see who the person was who died. This being Beth, the most useless singing character on The Walking Dead. It was actually somewhat sad in the episode because Maggie and co. came back from their 15km trip to nothing and she heard that Beth was still alive, so she was happy and went along with the others on the saving trip. When arrived at the hospital though, Daryl carried the body of Beth outside leaving Maggie heartbroken. It was a sad happening when Beth died, Rick and Daryl both cried and it was a pretty good scene all together.

The rest of the episode was mostly talking though, Gabriel got himself in a mess but got out alive. The others in the church were in danger as well for a short period of time, but it was obvious that the focus of that episode wouldn't be on the church so you already knew that nothing bad was going to happen to any of those characters.

Even though the episode wasn't very exciting, although I must admit that there's a possibility that I would've liked it better when I didn't read any spoilers, I was glad that this episode happened. Beth is finally gone meaning the group doesn't have to hang around anymore to save someone. The whole Beth scene was a bit lame though, the moment before she got shot I mean. Her character was trying to be tough again (which she is definitely not) and for some unknown reason she stabbed the leader Dawn with a scissor which had the immediate reaction that her head was blown off. It was all going very fast and it was somewhat confusing actually.

Now the first eight episodes have been aired I can't say I'm looking that much forward to February again. It's just that there were only 2 really good episodes this season, 1 episode was reasonable (this one) and the other ones were just shit. Fact is that the quality of The Walking Dead has been bad lately and I think that won't change anymore in upcoming seasons. It was nice that someone finally died again for the mid-season finale, but unfortunately that was the only good part about this episode. Apparently at the end there was a shot about Morgan again, but I haven't seen it unfortunately. I guess we'll learn more about him in the second half of the season.

No comments:

Post a Comment

You might also like..