Friday 26 April 2013

Review: Freddy vs. Jason (2003)

Freddy vs. Jason
IMDB rate: 5,7
Genre: Slasher

Today I've watched Freddy vs. Jason as part of my 'A Nightmare on Elm Street'. I previously watched all the A Nightmare on Elm Street movies, and now all I have left is the remake. 

It has been quite some time since I last saw this movie. The last time I saw this, I had not seen any other A Nightmare on Elm Street movie yet. Back then I thought this was a reasonable movie, but because I didn't know anything about Freddy yet it was a bit confusing. I have to admit that I never saw any of the Friday the 13th movie, besides a tiny bit of the remake. So watching it now the Freddy part is a bit clearer, but the Jason part not. Maybe it's time for a Friday the 13th marathon huh ;).


It's been nearly ten years since Freddy Krueger terrorized people in the dreams, and the towns folk want to keep him erased from their memory. Freddy still has one more plan on getting back to Elm Street. He resurrects Jason Voorhees and sends him off to kill. The more bodies which fall to the ground, the stronger in which Freddy becomes. This is until, Freddy realizes that Jason isn't going to step aside easily, and must be taken down himself.

It's definitely a different kind of movie than A Nightmare on Elm Street. The things that you really notice is the difference of when it was made. For example, in none of the A Nightmare on Elm Street movies there was any in it. In the horror movies nowadays, it's all about sex. And of course, this movie isn't different from that. Also, this movie is full with the horror cliches. It was not really bothering or anything since I never took this movie serious. If this movie would be considered a serious sequel to the A Nightmare on Elm Street movies and the Friday the 13th movies then it would be incredibly bothering that it was filled with cliches. 

The most annoying thing in this movie was Kelly Rowland. She acted so terrible. I think she made this movie 10 times worse. The only thing that I did like was when she was mocking Freddy Krueger. Somebody finally told Freddy what it was all about! A character that I liked was played by Chris Marquette, I don't know why but I love him in every movie he plays in. He brings some sort of innocence to these kind of movies (he definitely did not in The Girl Next Door).


The battle between Freddy and Jason was really epic. I think it's a battle that everybody have been waiting for all these years. They ripped each other apart till the last piece wasn't standing anymore. Amazing. Also, Freddy being slashed by his own hand? Justice finally arrived!
An other epic scene was the bed scene, pictured above. It seems rather nasty to die this way. 

The story itself isn't even that bad. I mean, there were A Nightmare on Elm Street movies that had a worse story than this one. This story was actually kinda fitting, and was not complete nonsense (like I expected) to the previous movies. Sure, it was absolutely not a great movie. But it was reasonable and bearable to watch. The acting was not that good. The special effects were good. The Make-up was good and the locations were perfect. I think they have made the best out of this movie. They only should have left Kelly Rowland out of it.

A stupid moment was during the final battle between Freddy and Jason. This girl named Lori Campbell and her boyfriend finally had the chance to leave this murdering scene, and what does she want to do? Stop and stare at Freddy and Jason battling each other. She suddenly gets a demonic voice screaming that the wants to see them kill each other off. Right, very believable.


All together it's not a serious sequel to the A Nightmare on Elm Street movies. It's fun to watch if you don't take it seriously. I think many die-hard A Nightmare on Elm Street and Friday the 13th fans will hate this movie. The blood rate in this movie is certainly higher than in the previous A Nightmare on Elm Street movies, which is a nice touch to this movie. If you want to see the most epic battle ever, go watch this movie!

My personal rate: 6/10

No comments:

Post a Comment

You might also like..