Tuesday 2 July 2013

Review: Apollo 18 (2011)

Apollo 18
IMDB rate: 5,2
Genre: Found-Footage, Science-Fiction

This movie gets quite a low rating but personally I think it's a reasonable movie. I'm not a big fan of science-fiction, but I quite liked it when I watched it the first time. I'll admit, I didn't like it as much when I watched it again yesterday, but I think the movie isn't that bad.


Decades-old found footage from NASA's abandoned Apollo 18 mission, where two American astronauts were sent on a secret expedition, reveals the reason the U.S. has never returned to the moon.

The acting in this movie is quite good, but you don't really get to know the characters unfortunately, which makes it hard to care about them. You don't see much of alien type things, but what you see is satisfying. I like it when it's not too much, because when you see too much things will look fake easier. The alien type things in this movie that you got to see clearly looked like rocks so there's not much you can do wrong with a rock. I believe at some point you see another alien type thing and this one looked like a huge spider. But I was not quite sure if it was an alien, it could have been a shadow too.


I like the combination of science-fiction and found-footage. It's quite interesting. What's also interesting is that it takes place in the sixties. Inside the space shuttle (I'm calling it a space shuttle, I have no idea what to call it) there are three cameras, outside there are two or three cameras and there is a camera attached to the space suit I believe. There is also an old school hand-held camera. That's quite a lot cameras but sometimes I had the idea that some images being shown were not possible to see from one of these cameras. This is only a thought of course.

There's not much you see in this movie, most of the images are very shaky and when it's not shaky there's a lot of noise in the image. Because many of these images were so unclear, it made the movie  quite confusing. The movie can be boring at times, but when something started to happen, it became quite scary. There are some jump scares in this movie, but don't expect too much from it. 

The ending was kinda unsatisfying. I don't think it's possible that the company can let their people on the moon to die. Also, when the last part wouldn't have happened (the crash) the other person could notify the world about what happened so it's kinda unreal. 


The movie is not that great but it's not bad either. I know that I enjoyed watching it the first time and maybe it's just a movie that you need to see once and not more than that. Because the second time it was a lot more boring. The acting is good but the plot is a bit strange sometimes. The ending is really unsatisfying. 

My personal rate: 6/10

1 comment:

  1. Pretty much agree with you, though you enjoyed it a bit more than me. There were some really creepy scenes, but also many, many terribly tedious sequences. The basic idea is brilliant, but the execution is mediocre.

    ReplyDelete

You might also like..