Thursday 11 July 2013

Review: Carriers (2009)

Carriers
IMDB rate: 6,1
Genre: Virus, Post-Apocalyptic 

I wanted to see this movie for so long already. I believe I've started watching it once but for some reason I never finished it. Can't remember why though, it's not that it's a movie that is so terrible I can't watch it. The movie itself is quite good to be honest. Well, quite good might be too much but it's certainly enjoyable to watch. It's not a horror movie though, there are not really tensed moments and the only thing that might be considered horror are the infected people. They are just infected people who die after a while by the way, no zombies. I think the movie is mainly about surviving in a lost world, and most important is to save yourself rather than another.


In a world devastated by an outbreak, Brian (Chris Pine), his girlfriend Bobby (Piper Perabo), his brother Danny (Lou Taylor Pucci) and their friend, Kate (Emily VanCamp), are heading to a beach where the brothers spent their childhood vacations expecting it to be a sanctuary. When their car breaks down on the road in the desert, they negotiate with a man called Frank (Christopher Meloni), who is also stranded but without gas. He's trying to get his daughter Jodie to the hospital (she is infected with a disease of some kind), they all decide to travel together. During the journey, massive moral dilemmas arise, as event head into a downward spiral.

The acting in the movie is very good. The cast exist from a excellent bunch of young talented people which makes the movie enjoyable to watch. I was especially impressed by Lou Taylor Pucci, someone who I've only seen in one movie before where he played a strange character (I haven't seen the new Evil Dead yet, where he also plays in). He seems like a lame person in this movie so seeing him man up was a nice sight. Chris Pine is also an excellent actor, even though he plays a bit of an asshole in the movie, it was not annoying to watch (for example, yesterday I watched the movie Boo were also a big asshole plays in, but he was annoying to watch). 


The movie itself is good but it's quite slow. It only lasts for 90 minutes but those 90 minutes sure take long in this case. In my opinion it needed a bit more action or a better storyline. I at least wanted to know the cause of the infection but unfortunately you'll never know. I always find it very interesting in an infection movie to know the different causes for the infection. It's not a movie where you lose your focus easily, because you want to know where it's leading to. But now I finished watching it and think about the movie I find it hard to describe the use for it. Sure, it's about surviving the infection but it needed a deeper going story I think. 

The movie is certainly not a horror movie, even though it's described everywhere like it is. I think it's better described as a drama. Maybe with a touch of horror, but that's only because of the infection. 
The movie has a very touching side. You can leave people behind when you don't know them, but what if a loved one gets infected? What do you do? Can you live with yourself after? This is why the movie is a drama. It's certainly a good drama, but please don't get fooled by the wrong marketing.


The problem with this movie is that it's too slow, also it needed a deeper going story. It's a nice movie to watch but I think this is mainly because of the good writing and the excellent acting. The story itself is not much. Again, this is not a horror movie.

My personal rate: 6,5/10

No comments:

Post a Comment

You might also like..