Sunday 2 February 2014

Review: American Horror Story: Asylum [Season 2]

American Horror Story
Season 2
IMDB rate: 8,5
Genre: Possession, Mad Scientist, TV Show

It has been sometime since my last American Horror Story review, the one about season 1. I think that American Horror Story deserves a review for each season, since every one is about some different subject and isn't related in anyway to the previous seasons.
I know I'm a bit late with my review, I already watched it quite some time ago but I never really felt like writing a review about it. Yesterday I watched the last episode of season 3, so I figured that it had to be done. 

I know that the opinions are very different for everyone, personally I liked the first season best, including the third season, and I liked the third season best after that, which makes this season my least favorite one this far. 

The most noticeable thing about American Horror Story are the actors. There are a few main actors who show up in (almost) every season, not a strange thing of course, but what does make it strange is the fact that every season has a different subject. This means that there are new characters and new supernatural things going on, but still with the same people. I must admit that it was a bit strange for me at first, especially in the second season, but in the third one I was already used to it. The problem with this setup could be that you're starting to make comparisons a lot easier. In a way, 'oh I liked her character better in the first one', things like that.
I've said this already in my previous review, but again I want to mention the incredible acting of Evan Peters and Jessica Lange. Other ones that I would like to mention are Sarah Paulson, Lily Rabe and Lizzie Brochere.
American Horror Story definitely has a great cast.


I thought this season wasn't very good to be honest. Probably not an opinion that's appreciated a whole lot, since most people liked this one most. I thought it was messy. It was messy in the first one, but almost everything was linked back to something, so there weren't a whole lot loose ties. With this season I felt like they threw in 20 random stuff and failed to explain these happenings. 

There were the aliens, sure it could be good but that wasn't rounded up completely. Then there are these creatures created, also, very scary but they weren't shown a whole lot, and they just seemed very random as well. Or the Anne Frank part, personally I loved that part of the season, but again it seemed thrown in quite randomly, since it only lasted two episodes or so. And this is definitely not everything yet, there was so much more stuff that was random and not really relevant.

If I have to choose an episode that I liked best I would choose for the 'I Am Anne Frank: Part 1 & 2'. But like I already mentioned, the Anne Frank part was thrown in kinda random and it was very interesting, but if it was a bit more expanded it would be even better. 

I wouldn't say that this season was very bad or anything. It was entertaining, all these things going on are always fun to see. And of course the actors are all amazing. But a better connecting storyline would have made it so much better. My review of season 3 will be up this week I think, I liked 3 a lot more so it's a bit more positive compared to this one ;).

My personal rate: 7,5/10

3 comments:

  1. I just LOVED Asylum. We're definitely opposites on our ratings. I dislike Coven the most, I can't quite describe why. I guess witches don't scare me, or at least Coven's type of which does not. To me the gore was just made to look pretty against the nice backdrops. I also think there's almost too many stars in it at this point. Of course, we all have our opinions! :) I've yet to see the Finale of Coven, I'll try to catch that tonight.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah yeah, I know most people dislike Coven and love Asylum, Asylum just didn't seem very logical to me, but yes you're right, we all have different opinions :)! What did you think of the Coven finale?

      Delete
    2. I loved Asylum the most as well.

      Delete

You might also like..