Wednesday 6 March 2013

Review: Case 39 (2009)

Case 39
IMDB rate: 6,1
Genre: Supernatural

I found it a bit hard to rate this movie to be honest, because I couldn't really call it a horror movie. The storyline was a bit predictable but that didn't made it a bad movie. It's fair to say that this was a decent movie. It was fun to see a movie with a bit of a different story, with a nice twist in it. This didn't made it less predictable unfortunately. 

Case 39 is about a child protective services worker (Renee Zellweger), who saves a 10 year old girl, Lillith (Jodelle Ferland), from her abusive parents. She takes a maternal interest in Lillith but problems arise shortly after having removed the girl from her home. 


Even if you didn't watched the trailer first, the movie was still predictable. But as I mentioned before, this isn't a bothering thing. Renee Zellweger plays her role excellent, and I was actually very surprised by that fact (shame shame). I only knew her from the typical movies like Bridget Jones Diary, and I couldn't image her playing in a horror movie. But I was wrong, and well, that was a lucky factor for the movie ;)! 

Jodelle Ferland also plays her role excellent, because she seems very cute and innocent at the beginning, but from the moment she is playing the evil part, you instantly get scared of her. It reminded me a lot of Isabelle Fuhrman in the movie Orphan (the movie itself also reminds me of Orphan). I think she will grow into an amazing actress once she will get a bit more famous. 


There where also more good actors in this movie, to name a few: Bradley Cooper and Ian McShane, and their roles weren't very big, but it was a good adding factor to the movie. 

What I liked about this movie was that you kept questioning what caused all this trouble, even when the story was predictable, you can never know the small interesting details.
Unfortunately, I didn't found this movie scary, at all. I know a lot of people thought it was super scary, with a lot of jump scares and stuff, but that's definitely not how I experienced it. I didn't scare once, I didn't even had a tension building moment or something like that. That's why I personally can't call it a horror, but that doesn't mean it's a bad thing, because I didn't dislike the movie because of that.


To be honest, I have no idea what else there is to say about this movie. I guess you'll have to watch it yourself and decide what you thought of it. Maybe it is a scary movie for you, it can be a totally different experience for you. 

This movie contains a bit of creepy children and demons. I think you can compare it to the movies Orphan and The Children, so if you liked those movies, you probably will like this one too. 

My personal rate: 6,5/10



No comments:

Post a Comment

You might also like..