Thursday 28 March 2013

Short review: Dream House

Dream House
IMDB rate: 5,8
Genre: Thriller

When I saw the trailer for the first time I was convinced that this was a horror movie, and even when I started watching this movie I thought it would be a horror movie. But after 20 minutes or so, it goes another way and it appears to be a thriller instead of a horror. Well, it's fine with me, but that's why I'm writing a short review instead of a regular one.

The cast of this movie is amazing, Naomi Watts, Daniel Craig and Rachel Weisz, so that was a good thing to start with. And indeed, they played terrific and there really seemed to be a good chemistry between the characters (useless trivia: Daniel Craig met his now-wife Rachel Weisz on the set of this movie!). The movie is absolutely not bad, I think I can call it fairly good. But I'm afraid I'll have to watch it again because it was a bit confusing after a while. I'm not giving out any spoilers so unfortunately I can't tell why it was confusing.

In New York, the successful editor Will Atenton quits his job in the GPH Publishers to move to the suburb New Ashford and dedicate more time to his beloved wife Libby and his daughters Trish and DeeDee and to start writing a novel. The family is frightened by a stranger watching them through the window and Will decides to investigate and finds teenagers in a satanic cult in his basement. Soon he discovers that family man Peter Warn killed his wife and his two daughters in their house five years ago. Will goes to the police but the officers do not pay attention to him. He also learns that Peter Ward spent five years in Greenhaven Psychiatric Hospital, but was recently discharged. Will decides to go to Greenhaven to get information about Peter Ward and he discloses a dark secret about the former intern that will affect his life in his dream house.

The story is good, but like I said, it was very confusing and I'm hoping that I will fully understand it the next time I'm watching the movie. The thing that I didn't like was that the mystery was revealed way too early. It was really a thing that they should kept till the ending of the movie. Because when you know the mystery, the story gets a bit boring. Everything that happens after it does not really matter anymore. Also, the relationship between Naomi Watts and her husband should have been shown a bit more, because now you know nothing about those two. It's sad that the movie is advertised so wrong, because if it was just shown like it was a thriller I think it would have gotten a higher rate. Even though it wasn't a horror it was a nice movie to watch because you want to know why everything is happening.

My personal rate: 7/10


No comments:

Post a Comment

You might also like..