Wednesday 14 August 2013

Review: Summer of Fear (1978)

Summer of Fear
IMDB rate: 5,2
Genre: Supernatural

I'm sorry for my lack of updates but I'm back again with a Summer of Fear review. This movie is of course from the talented Wes Craven and it's already 35 years old! Summer of Fear is a bit of an older movie but it hardly felt that way.


A country family of five takes in cousin Julia, whose parents recently perished in a car crash. Julia extends her influence over the family and those around them, fooling all except for Rachel, the teenaged girl who knows her cousin is up to no good.

I quite enjoyed watching Summer of Fear. The main reason was because I felt like I was watching the movie version of a R.L. Stine book. The special effects might not have been too good but I really enjoyed watching it.


The main character is played by Linda Blair, who is of course well known for her role in The Exorcist. She's not a bad actress but her performance was certainly not as good as in The Exorcist. Her cousin Julia is played by Lee Purcell, someone I'm not familiar with, but she reminded me so much of Mary Elizabeth Winstead. Her facial features are exactly the same, only with a lot of hair. A fun face to see was Fran Drescher a.k.a. "The Nanny", who played her very first role in this movie.

The film is not really scary, and differers a lot from Wes Craven's usual work, but I did enjoy watching the movie. The finale made it an interesting movie even though the effects look a bit lame.


Summer of Fear is certainly an enjoyable movie. Remember that it was a TV movie and not just a regular movie. For a TV movie it's certainly good even though the special effects look terrible to what we are used to nowadays. The acting is decent, nothing special.

My personal rate: 7/10

No comments:

Post a Comment

You might also like..