Tuesday 3 September 2013

Review: Land of the Dead (2005)

Land of the Dead
IMDB rate: 6,3
Genre: Zombie

First time seeing Land of the Dead! Another movie that I bought a long time ago and haven't watched until last weekend. I don't even know how I got this movie. Anyway, I quite enjoyed this movie. The zombies were more advanced and the story was reasonable. 


Now that zombies have taken over the world, the living have built a walled-in city to keep the dead out. But all's not well where it's most safe, as a revolution plans to overthrow the city leadership, and the zombies are turning into more advanced creatures.

I loved how the zombies were actually learning things in this movie. This proves that they are not completely brain-dead and might even have a chance to become normal again when there's found a cure. It was brilliant to see how the zombies picked up weapons and started using them. Not in the fastest or smartest way, but they did notice that they could use these objects in their benefit. Also, there's this one zombie that keeps returning and he actually tried saving other zombies. When people drove by to shoot some of them, he tried throwing them on the ground so the bullets would miss them. It was almost adorable to see. Or throwing himself into the water, to find out that they could swim across the river that protected the city. Brilliant to see that the zombies are learning.


The acting is decent in this movie. I'm not a big fan of Simon Baker, but he was decent. He was not all woolly like he sometimes plays so that's a good thing. Robert Joy was the one that I loved in this movie. I think he's a brilliant actor and even in this movie he's very good. He was quite adorable playing someone not very smart. 
What I really loved about this movie was the fact that Simon Pegg and Edgar Wright had a small role in it. I did not even notice the two of them but I read that they played a small role so of course I had to look back until I saw them. They played two zombies chained in a club. It's the two zombies that people take pictures with. I really did not recognize them, not even when I knew that it were them. The make-up in this entire movie is very good. It looks incredibly real. So you can imagine how frightened I was when the Clown Zombie showed up ;).

The movie is filled with gore and is absolutely brilliant. The movie is a bit different from George Romero's other work but it's still a masterpiece. It's not an independent film like the other ones, but that does not change much. There's not much character development, but that's also not what I was looking for in this movie. The storyline was not very interesting, but the gore made quite up for that fact.


Land of the Dead is a very fun movie. Quite different from Romero's other work, but still quite enjoyable. It's not a very serious movie and there's not much attention for storyline or character development, but that did not take the fun away from this movie. I quite enjoyed watching this one.

My personal rate: 6,5/10


No comments:

Post a Comment

You might also like..