Tuesday 24 September 2013

Review: Masters of Horror: Imprint (2006)

Imprint
Masters of Horror
IMDB rate: 6,9
Genre: Torture

And again it's time for another Masters of Horror! I felt like it has been a long time since I watched my last one, but I just remembered that it was only last week when I last watched one. Imprint is the thirteenth episode of season 1 of Masters of Horror, but as always, I watch it in a different order because my DVD's are in a different order for some reason. This is DVD 4, so there are only 6 episodes left!

I was quite curious about Imprint because it's supposed to be that brutal that it was not even aired on Television. It certainly is very brutal, so no need to be disappointed about that, but the storyline.. meh.. It was mostly a bit of a weird story and it only got weirder when the story got clearer.

I must say that I haven't seen a 'normal' Masters of Horror movie/episode yet so I guess it's just their style.


In the Nineteenth Century, in Japan, the American journalist Christopher is traveling through the country searching Komomo, the missing love of his life that he had abandoned years ago promising to come back to her later. He arrives in a shadowy island inhabited by whores and caftans, where he has an encounter with a deformed prostitute that tells that his beloved Komomo had passed away. He drinks sake with her and later he asks the woman to tell the story of her life. The prostitute discloses a dark and cruel story about her life and the sad fate of Komomo

As I already said, Imprint is mainly a weird story. It starts off a bit slow, but when there's finally a bit speed in it, it's really getting interesting. The story of the deformed prostitute is quite interesting. But after a while, things are getting strange.. very strange. I won't say a thing but the storyline suddenly became a let down to me. That's quite sad because things just got interesting.

What I liked about this movie was that it almost felt like watching an anime. A sort of real life anime. This is because the colors were very bright and the hair-colors were not natural, just like an anime.
What I did not like very much was that everyone spoke English, while they were in Japan. Some spoke English very well, and some with a very weird (not natural) accent. I really don't see the point in that because the movie would be a lot more fun if it was in Japanese. If the prostitutes etc. spoke English with their foreign customers I would get it, but they even spoke English to each other. This is just something what I find very annoying.
Another thing that was a disappointed was the make-up, it looked really fake in some scenes.

This movie was banned from television because of the brutality in it. It was only shown on TV when some scenes were cut out. Luckily, my version still had these banned scenes. I rarely look away from the screen because I can't handle what's happening in the movie, but this movie almost made me do it. It was like the torturing was going straight to me, it was horrible. Of course I looked, but I did flinch a couple of times.
In one of these torturing scenes, a girl gets needles pinched under her nails and into her gums; I'm sorry but that was just too much to handle. It was not even briefly shown or anything. No this scene took forever.
That's one of the good things about this movie, it made me flinch, so I like it.


Imprint is worth a watch because of the torturing, it looks amazing and it's truly terrifying. The storyline is a bit of a letdown, especially one of the latest scenes. I think for a Masters of Horror movie it's quite a good one.

My personal rate: 6/10

No comments:

Post a Comment

You might also like..