Tuesday 15 April 2014

Review: Buffy the Vampire Slayer [Season 4-7]

Buffy the Vampire Slayer
Season 4-7
IMDB rate: 8,2
Genre: TV Show, Vampire (and many more)


It has been quite some time since my last Buffy the Vampire Slayer review, in fact, the first one was uploaded exactly an year ago. The reason why I never wrote a review about the others seasons was because I didn't own all of them on DVD, after I owned season 1-3, I received season 7, after that 6 and after that 5. But it took an incredibly long time to find season 4 of Buffy the Vampire Slayer. 
Of course, they were out there online but not in the right DVD case. Every Buffy DVD I own is a Collectors Edition, and it would be a first world problem if the middle season wasn't that same case (I'm absolutely not picky). 

But anyway, last month I finished watching every season of Buffy the Vampire Slayer and I thought it would be time to start writing about it!

Also, Sarah Michelle Gellar's birthday was yesterday (it's on the same day as mine :)) so happy birthday SMG aka Buffy!


I've loved this show since I was little, but at that time I hadn't seen every episode yet, because the times that they aired constantly changed. In my last review I wrote about each character, but after the third season a lot changed. Cordelia Chase (played by Charisma Carpenter) isn't in the show anymore and Angel (played by David Boreanaz) isn't a regular anymore as well. My favorite character Oz also disappears shortly after the beginning of season 4.

New regulars were Anya (played by Emma Caulfield), Dawn (played by Michelle Trachtenberg) at the end of season 4 and Tara Maclay (played by Amber Benson). Spike (played by James Marsters) also became a regular to the show.

I liked season 4-7, but they weren't as good as the first three seasons. Things became a bit more confusing, especially since Buffy suddenly gained a little sister. At first everything was like she was always there, but in season 5 or 6 things about Dawn's appearance got explained. It was clear that she wasn't a real person and stuff, but when they started talking about 'her being a key', it became slightly confusing.

A whole lot of people die in these seasons, it sure was a whole lot darker compared to the previous seasons.



The highest rated episode on IMDB was 'Once More With Feeling' (season 6, episode 7), which was a musical episode. Personally I dislike musicals and singing and stuff, so it wasn't one of my favorite episodes. It did explain a lot though, especially about Buffy's feelings. It also was incredibly original, even though I hate musicals, I enjoyed the episode.

 My favorite episode was 'Hush' (season 4, episode 10), the second best rated episode on IMDB. It was just brilliant because nothing is said in this episode. It's incredibly difficult to make an episode good without saying a word. Not only was it brilliant because nothing was said, these 'gentleman' were actually scary as hell.

Other good episodes were The Gift (season 5, episode 22) and especially The Body (season 5, episode 16). This is the one where an important person dies, and it's absolutely heartbreaking.
There were lots of other good episodes, such as the very last one. It's simply too much to describe them all, but these are my person favorite ones.
(How stupid do I sound when I say that I get goosebumps even thinking about a few of these awesome episodes?)

Buffy the Vampire Slayer is an amazing show and I recommend that everyone should watch it. It contains many supernatural elements besides vampires. Each episode is a new surprise. Things are very different in the new seasons, a lot of dark things happened. I already mentioned that I liked the first three seasons best,  but I mostly mean that I like the first three seasons as a whole. Season 4-7 has more amazing individual episodes, so they are awesome as well.
It's a great surprising show and I truly enjoyed watching all the seven seasons.

My personal rate: 9,5/10


No comments:

Post a Comment

You might also like..