Tuesday 19 August 2014

Review: Cockneys vs. Zombies (2012)

Cockneys vs. Zombies
IMDB rate: 5,9
Genre: Zombie, Comedic

I've been seeing this film in cheap movie stores everywhere, and I couldn't help but think that this must be a terrible movie. I did decide to give this movie a watch, and surprisingly enough I quite enjoyed it. It's not a top zombie movie, but it sure is entertaining. 

I love British movies, especially when they're horror. Think of movies like Shaun of the Dead and Lesbian Vampire Killers, they're both incredibly entertaining movies. Now, Cockneys vs. Zombies isn't as good as one of those two, but it's still great fun. That dry humor with the foul language that they use is a very funny combination, throw in some zombies and fun is guaranteed. 


I do think that this movie could've been more attractive with another name. Cockneys vs. Zombies just is a terrible name for a movie. I just expect a terrible movie when I see a title like that. It reminds me of shit movies such as Mega Shark vs. Mega Octopus or stuff like that. But it really is better than the title might make you think. 

The movie gives an interesting perspective I think. You expect that the old people will be useless, but they turn out to be the most badass people of this entire movie. This also results in hilarious chases between an old man and zombies in a very slow speed. Alan Ford really is the star in this movie, I think his role is definitely comparable with his roles in Snatch and Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels.

I also love that they immediately know that they're in the middle of a zombie apocalypse, in most zombie movies people act as if they've never seen movies before and have no idea what they're stuck in. In this movie they immediately know what to do, which prevents a lot of useless deaths.


The special effects are good and there's lots of satisfying gore in this movie. The make-up is quite good actually, they look like the nasty buggers from the new Dawn of the Dead, but they have the good old moving pace from Night of the Living Dead. The conversations are hilarious, the characters reactions to the zombies are even more. 

This movie really was entertaining and it was so much more than it's name would suggest. It was fun but also very good. I like it's as if Shaun of the Dead meets Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels. Good acting, great gore and nice entertainment. 

My personal rate: 7,5/10

No comments:

Post a Comment

You might also like..