Tuesday 12 August 2014

Review: Insidious: Chapter 2 (2013)

Insidious: Chapter 2
IMDB rate: 6,7
Genre: Ghost, Possession

I finally watched Insidious: Chapter 2 some time ago. I was never really a fan of Insidious, and I don't think I liked Insidious 2 a whole lot. The movie isn't bad or anything, the acting is very good and so are the special effects and stuff. I'm just not very keen on the storyline. I thought it was confusing but perhaps I understood things wrong.

Now excuse me if I'm wrong with a few happenings in the movie, at the point of writing this it has already been quite some time that I watched this movie. I might be wrong with remembering small facts and stuff, so sorry in advance!


First of all, amazing scares as usual. There were a few jump scares, and they were quite good. I do think that the scares are definitely less good compared with Chapter 1, but it's still good enough. The scares in this movie were a lot more obvious and predictable, so that's quite a shame. Still, they weren't bad. The atmosphere wasn't very tensive like other James Wan movies, that's something I definitely missed in this movie. I wasn't a big fan of the movie The Conjuring, but the atmosphere was definitely unsettling enough in that movie.

The acting is very good. I'm not a huge fan of Patrick Wilson, but his acting performances in the Insidious movies are very good. His role got a lot more depth in this movie so that's definitely a good improvement in this movie. His acting skills really showed off great with this type of character. I like Rose Byrne as an actress, but in this movie she was kinda annoying, definitely not her best performance. Another excellent thing in this movie was the younger version of Elise, played by Lindsay Seim, she looked so much like the older Elise (Lin Shaye). Real good casting!

The thing with Insidious that I dislike a lot is the storyline. I just don't like the things happening, it's weird, unreal and just confusing. I thought the first Insidious movie was confusing and I hoped the second chapter would clear things up, but of course, it just made things more confusing.
The parts when the people are in the ghost world are just laughable. It looks terrible and the scares are definitely not scary anymore in this scene.


I think that my opinion about the first Insidious movie is that it was a 'decent' movie, the sequel doesn't live up to it unfortunately. I think these movies start to look a lot like Paranormal Activity, and well, we all know that those movies didn't get better with each part. Of course, there will be another sequel and I'm afraid that it won't be any better than this. The opinions about Insidious Chapter 2 are very combined, some love it, some hate it. I personally am not a fan of these movies. The acting is great, the scares are okay at best but I just really hate the storyline. It's rubbish.

My personal rate: 5,5/10

No comments:

Post a Comment

You might also like..