Friday 26 September 2014

Review: The Bay (2012)

The Bay
IMDB rate: 5,6
Genre: Virus, Mockumentary

A couple of weeks ago I watched the movie The Bay, I've heard pretty good things about this movie and for a long time I thought it was just another shark movie. I was of course terribly wrong with this, since it's not about sharks at all, I can't even remember why I figured it would be about sharks. Anyway, The Bay is a pretty good movie, it was much better compared with what I expected it to be.

It feels like a pretty real documentary, you can notice this pretty fast in the movie because the webcam lags as hell, which is pretty realistic since I have never seen a not-lagging webcam in my entire life. The reporter also seem genuinely surprised with everything that's happening around her, instead of just reporting emotionlessly what's going on, she's actually trying to give a name and a face to everyone she's interviewing.


In my opinion the camera was a bit too shaky. I know that is pretty standard with mockumentaries, but in this movie it was just too much. It made my eyes hurt and gave me headache, meaning it's really too shaky. I had the same by the way with the Poughkeepsie Tapes, that's why I never finished watching that movie (although I'm still interested in watching it someday). It was a bit annoying to watch at times, and even more so because the subtitles happened to be synched wrong (which is Netflix' fault of course, not the fault of the movie). Unfortunately some parts where a bit too difficult to understand, meaning I may have missed some important information going on.

I was pretty curious about what would happen at the start of the movie, because you know that a virus will be spread, but you have no idea yet how big this will be and what will happen to those infected. I also was a bit skeptical since it's another found-footage movie, and this combined with the IMDB rating I didn't really had high hopes for this movie, but it turned out better than I expected it to be. It's really one of those rare good found-footage movies ;).


There are actually quite a few good scares in this movie, and the make-up of the sick people is very good. The movie is pretty gross most of the time, which may make it hard to watch to some people. I liked the gross parts though, I thought it made it a lot more realistic. I think the movie is best described as an intelligent movie, it's not the standard horror movie where there's bad guys who slaughter people, this movie is much more interesting than that.

I thought The Bay was a very interesting movie with good acting and great effects (also, a great poster). I did think it was a bit too shaky though and because I couldn't hear everything they said (lack of decent subtitles) I am still confused about a few things. Other than that, a very good found-footage movie.

My personal rate: 7,5/10

No comments:

Post a Comment

You might also like..