Wednesday 8 October 2014

Bates Motel (Season 1)

Bates Motel
Season 1

IMDB rate: 8,2
Genre: Thriller, Serial Killer
Starring: Freddie Highmore, Vera Farmiga, Max Thieriot

A while ago I finally watched Psycho for the first time. I actually decided to watch it after I first watched this TV show. Since Bates Motel is actually a prequel to Psycho, I thought it would be useful to watch it sometime. Normally I'm not a big fan of 'old' movies, but Psycho sure as hell amazed me. Actually, I loved Psycho. Just like I love Bates Motel.

I just finished watching the first season and I'm totally in love with it. It really is an amazingly good show. I'm doubting if it will actually follow the storyline of Psycho though. Sure, Norman Bates is a bit messed up, and does have a weird relationship with his mother. But so far it just doesn't seem yet as if it will be just like in Psycho. I hope it does though. The time Psycho is set, the mother of Norman Bates is dead for 10 years already, meaning at this moment it's not even near to what it should be eventually.

The TV show is starting to focus on other things besides Norman Bates, such as his brother who is in the weed industry. I've never seen one of the sequels to Psycho, nor read the book, so correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think he is having a brother, nor is the town he lives in still standing because of the weed industry in Psycho. Because of these sidetracks in Bates Motel I'm really wondering if it will actually follow the storyline of Psycho someday, I sure hope it does.


At the moment of typing this I'm halfway through season 2, the focus is going a bit more towards the mother and the brother, and less on Norman. But well, haven't finished it yet, so I'll let you know in the next review how season 2 turned out to be ;).

Bates Motel obviously isn't set in the 60's like Psycho, it does have the modern twist with cellphones and stuff like that. But something that's pretty significant is the way the Bates' are dressed and stuff. They also have cellphones, but they're dressed as if they're in the 60's most of the time. Just like Norma's car, which is an older car compared to the rest.

The thing I'm most amazed about is Freddie Highmore as Norman Bates. He is an amazing actor, of course he played in many big movies when he was younger such as August Rush (one of my favorites), Charlie and the Chocolate Factory and Finding Neverland.
As you know, I first watched Bates Motel and after that I watched Psycho. I was pretty amazed by the similarity between Freddie Highmore and Anthony Perkins. Their whole way of acting and facial expressions is the same, I think Freddie Highmore is a great choice for the role of Norman Bates.
Vera Farmiga plays Norman Bates' mother Norma Bates, and well, I can't really tell you how she is in Psycho, because of you-know-what, but I do like the chemistry between her and Freddie Highmore. They both act incredibly well as mother and son with an odd relationship. She's a great actress, I think she's a great choice for this role.

I wouldn't necessarily say that I have one specific favorite episode, they're pretty much all ending with a small twist which makes you eager to watch the next episode. They're all really good though, and I would definitely recommend watching this show. Fan of Psycho or not, it's worth a watch.

My rate: 8,5/10

Interested in reading my review of Psycho? Click this link!

No comments:

Post a Comment

You might also like..