Friday 15 November 2013

Review: Sorority Row (2009)

Sorority Row
IMDB rate: 5,0
Genre: Slasher

I almost forgot that I've watched this movie! I think it was last week or something, I can't even remember anymore. Anyway, it's not really a movie worth to remember because it was kinda lame. To describe Sorority Row in short: It's almost exactly the same as I Know What You Did Last Summer, but with a lot of woman. Seriously, it was almost an exact copy. 
Now I've heard that this movie is a remake, so maybe it's better to say that I Know What You Did Last Summer was exactly the same as The House on Sorority Row (1983), but since I haven't seen the original movie I can't tell you.


After finding out a guy cheated on their sister, sorority house Theta Pi play a simple prank on him. They trick him into thinking that he has killed his girlfriend, then take him into the middle of nowhere to 'dismember' the body, only then revealing it was a prank. However, the prank goes horribly wrong and all involved swear never to speak of it again. A year later at graduation though, they are all reminded of the past.

Sorority Row is not a very interesting movie in my opinion, it looked a lot like I Know What You Did Last Summer and it definitely was not better than that one. In I Know What You Did Last Summer there was a lot more character development, a more interesting story and overall it was just a whole lot better. Maybe it's wrong to compare the two, but I couldn't stop thinking about I Know What You Did Last Summer while watching this movie. 

Personally I thought that these five woman are very stupid and very ignorant. Especially Jessica (Leah Pipes) was an annoying cunt and I couldn't wait for her to die. Her lines are so terribly cliche that it made me cringe a lot. 
Cassidy (Briana Evigan) was supposed to be some sort of hero but I thought she was only really annoying, her acting wasn't that bad but her face is a bit Kristen Stewart sometimes. 
Chugs (Margo Harshman) was a rather useless character since all her use in this movie was to be a slut. Also it was her brother who killed the girl and she doesn't even seem bothered by it. Hell, there was not a single connection between the two of them, and terrible actress by the way. 
Claire (Jaime Chung) was the only one who acted properly, but her role wasn't very big unfortunately. Then there is Ellie (Rumer Willis), not only was her character incredibly annoying, she acted terrible too. She cried every second of the movie, and when she didn't cry, she was only being all insecure about stuff. I'm sorry but if you're the daughter of Bruce Willis and Demi Moore, that doesn't make you an instant good actress. 
Oh, and this is not one of these girl but I'll just have to mention Maxx Hennard for his TERRIBLE acting.

At the end we of course figure out who the killer is and well, there was not even a good explanation for it. So hear me out, -spoilers-, the boyfriend of Cassidy heard of the murder, and since he wanted to have a future with her, he decides to kill everyone that knows about it. What he does before that is getting the corpse of the girl, and the jacket that she wears and hangs it somewhere in the house what of course some of these five girls will see. He also sends text messages to everyone to warn them (?) that he knows (He knows what they did last summer)! And after this warning he happily starts murdering everyone. 
Now what I don't get is, why putting all this effort in getting the corpse? Or why putting effort in scaring them first? Why not just immediately kill them?
Anyway, I thought this was a very crappy motive, if you can call it a motive.


I think slasher movies are amusing, we never know who the killer is and it's always the question who will survive. With slasher movies you can go so many ways and still make a decent movie. Personally I did not find this a very good movie because it was very lazy at some points. The acting was overall not very good. It's kinda sad really because the beginning was kinda amusing, the camera work looks great and the music is good too. Unfortunately, the script writing looks very sloppy compared with all the good things in this movie.

My personal rate: 5/10


No comments:

Post a Comment

You might also like..