Saturday 9 November 2013

Review: The World's End (2013)

The World's End
IMDB rate: 7,4
Genre: Science-Fiction, Comedic

Yes, also I have finally seen The World's End, and I must admit that I've watched a downloaded version. This is because this shit country decided not to bring it to the cinemas, and honestly, I'm not going to wait until it's finally brought to DVD, because that sometimes takes ages. 

I was very excited about this movie because I am a big Edgar Wright, Simon Pegg and Nick Frost fan, Shaun of the Dead and Hot Fuzz definitely are in my favorite movies list, so the ending of the so called 'Three Flavors Cornetto' trilogy must be great.

Personally, I did not like it a whole lot. I did not find it a bad movie, but I was definitely disappointed by it. We've seen all these great movies of this combination and you get certain expectations for it. Unfortunately, it did not live up to my expectations. 


20 years after attempting an epic pub crawl, five childhood friends reunite when one of them becomes hell bent on trying the drinking marathon again. They are convinced to stage an encore by mate Gary King, a 40-year old man trapped at the cigarette end of his teens, who drags his reluctant pals to their home town and once again attempts to reach the fabled pub, The World's End. As they attempt to reconcile the past and present, they realize the real struggle is for the future, not just theirs but humankind's. Reaching The World's End is the least of their worries.

I almost died of laughing when watching Shaun of the Dead, Hot Fuzz and even Paul, but The World's End only gave me a few chuckles. There was used a lot of the same humor, and I don't think that's a bad thing because the humor is catchy, but I feel like they used it all wrong. Sure, Simon Pegg jumping over the falling fence again is funny, but honestly, that was only one of the few moments that made me laugh. It's sad because it's obviously not one of the original moments.
 I also really missed the line 'you have blue on you' in this movie, come on, perfect opportunity, right? 

I loved seeing all these familiar faces, and with that I mean besides Simon Pegg and Nick Frost. We get to see Martin Freeman and Bill Nighy for example. But if you look closely you can also recognize a few of the zombies. 
It was also funny that they used the same 'kids-group' again. Obviously they are not the same kids anymore, because they are much older by now, but they did use the same types. In Hot Fuzz they are the graffiti kids, in Shaun of the Dead we see a group of kids in the intro and here again, Blank-robot-alien kids. 


While I love Simon Pegg as an actor, I was mostly annoyed by him in this movie. His character is always the main character in his movies, and that's okay but in this movie it was too much. It was all about Simon Pegg and it become a bit annoying. You have this great group of actors together, Nick Frost, Eddie Marsan, Rosamund Pike, Pierce Brosnan and Martin Freeman, and it was all about Simon Pegg. Such a shame. His character is already an asshole, seeing him that much becomes annoying after awhile when he plays such a character. I would have loved to see more about the other characters.

The story is a bit illogical, the Golden Mile pub tour is a fun side story, but when the world really is ending, you won't keep doing it. I felt like they took the idea of protecting themselves from The Winchester of Shaun of the Dead and just doubled it a few times because it was such a success. And by the way, if you are already taking a lot out of your previous movies, why don't actually call a pub 'The Winchester'? That would have been a nice reference. 


The World's End is not a bad movie, it has funny moments and the acting is very good. What was especially excellent about this movie were the action shots, very well done. But personally I expected more from this and I was a bit disappointed after watching it. For me it was a sad ending for the 'Three Flavors Cornetto trilogy'.

My personal rate: 6/10





No comments:

Post a Comment

You might also like..