Monday 24 June 2013

Review: 28 Days Later (2002)

28 Days Later
IMDB rate: 7,6
Genre: Zombie

If you've read my Top 10 zombie movies list, you know that I put this movie on the second place. I've seen this movie quite a lot already and it still doesn't bore me. I think I'll watch 28 Weeks Later tomorrow if I have some spare time, 28 Weeks Later is definitely a lot less good than 28 Days Later, but it's still a fun movie to watch. 

 I really like this movie. There is a great cast, an amazing setting and quite different from most zombie movies if you ask me. The director of this movie is Danny Boyle. I enjoy most of his movies, especially Trainspotting, but in my opinion, this one is his masterpiece. It's a shame he didn't direct 28 Weeks Later, because I think it would have been a lot better in that case. 


In a top secret British lab, animal activists release a monkey infected with a highly powerful and contagious test virus, despite the begging of the scientist in charge of operations. 28 days later, the infection has gone from one monkey to the majority of the UK, the host of the virus is lost in a murderous state, losing all logic and instinct. Jim, a courier, wakes up from his coma in an empty hospital, to find that the streets have been heavily littered and are empty. His fear began when he saw no one. His terror erupted when realized he wasn't alone.

The actors in this movie are amazing. Cillian Murphy is one of my favorite actors and he never fails to amaze me. In the beginning of the movie he was quite a pussy, but luckily he got really badass at the ending.
Somebody who I really noticed was Naomie Harris, I mainly knew her as Tia Dalma in Pirates of the Caribbean, and well, I barely recognized her in this movie. She's quite outstanding and a very badass character.
A character that I didn't really like was Hannah, her acting was not that great, nevertheless, it did not ruin the movie.


The images in this film are absolutely excellent. It's brilliant that they actually managed to shoot some scenes in important parts of London, instead of just using green screen, they actually managed to get the London Bridge empty.
The music is also well chosen, especially the music in the last scene inside the mansion. It's so intense and so good, that it actually gave me goosebumps. For me, it's quite something because I normally don't really pay attention to the music in a movie, but in this case, it really stood out.

I love how many differences there are in zombie movies. The zombies are portrayed different in every movie. The appearance is different, the infection time varies a lot and then there is the difference about walkers or runners.
I liked how the zombies were in this movie, but I thought their appearance was a bit lame. Of course, there is not ultimate vision of how a zombie looks like, so it's a bit wrong of me to complain about this. I like the virus variant of a zombie. Of course, the origin came from the death rising from their graves. But I don't think there's anything wrong with this kind of zombie apocalypse.


I like this movie a lot, but I know that many people dislike it. For example, I know that all my friends hated it, while I loved it. The acting is great, amazing music and especially excellent camera work.

My personal rate: 9/10

No comments:

Post a Comment

You might also like..