Tuesday 25 June 2013

Review: Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter (2012)

Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter
IMDB rate: 5,9
Genre: Vampire

This weekend I finally watched Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter. At first I wanted to see this in the cinema, but it of course was in 3D, just like every other movie I want to see, so I had to wait till I could download a decent one.

I expected quite a lot from it, the trailer seemed fun and it gave a different image of Abraham Lincoln. I haven't read the book so I did not know what to expect. Unfortunately, I was really disappointed when watching this movie.


In the Nineteenth Century, the nine-year old boy Abraham Lincoln witness the vampire Jack Barts sucking the blood and killing his mother. Years later, Abraham Lincoln seeks revenges against Jack Barts but he fails in his intent of killing the vampire. He is saved by Henry Sturges, who becomes his mentor and teaches how to hunt and kill vampires. Henry sends Abraham to Springfield to kill vampires. He gets a job and lodging in the store of Joshua Speed where he meets his black friend Will Johnson. Abraham also dates Mary Todd but keeps his vampire hunter business in secret. After killing Jack Barts, he calls the attention of the powerful and ancient vampire Adam. Abraham becomes a politician and the President of the United States, and sooner the leader of the Secession War against the vampires.

This movie happens to be about Abraham Lincoln, but it could have been about anybody. The fact that it is about Lincoln seems to be just some factor to keep the story interesting, but it has absolutely no use. At the beginning I thought this movie would be about Abraham Lincoln chasing the murderer of his mother, he did but it was soon over. Then it started about Mary Todd and her boring boyfriend, so Abraham basically stole her from him. Then he's suddenly the President of the United States and it's about some confusing story about slavery, and suddenly there are a few angry vampires so of course there is a vampire war. I seriously had the idea that I missed something while watching this movie because it jumped from on storyline to another. There never seemed to be one full storyline that went from beginning to the end, which was really annoying.


The movie is filled with slow-motion, at first it's not that bothering, but if every tiny bit of action is in slow-motion, it's starting to get really annoying. I think the movie could have been at least 15 minutes shorter without all the unnecessary slow-motion effects. Sure, it looks cool. But seriously, every action moment in slow-motion, just a big no.
Also, too much CGI. Everything looked so fake. The vampires, the horses, the action. It just doesn't look good.

I can't complain about the acting. It wasn't very bad. The one who stood out was definitely Benjamin Walker who portrayed Abraham Lincoln. When he grew the Abraham beard he actually looked quite a lot like him. Unfortunately, the movie is filled with lame dialogues so he doesn't good look in it, at all.

There is a different vision of vampires in this movie. For example, they can't stand silver. And, they can appear in sunlight (they don't sparkle). They also can be invisible and they can't kill each other. It also appears that if one vampire tries to bite a human, and another vampires sticks his arm between the vampires mouth and the humans neck, the vampire can bite the other vampire. I don't know where it went wrong with that last part, since the last time there appeared an invisible barrier between them...


This movie was rubbish and quite a waste of time. The acting is fairly good but it doesn't do any justice in this movie. The plot is terrible. The action is ridiculous and the vampires are weird. It might be nice to watch this movie once, and I'm glad I watched it, but that's mainly so I know that I don't have to watch it ever again.
I am curious about the book though, I've heard that the book is quite good.

My personal rate: 4,5/10

2 comments:

  1. I pretty much agree with your review, though I hated it even more than you :-) My expectations were low but I expected it to be at least a decent little funfest - but it turned out to be a dumb piece of CGI crap that takes itself way too serious. And omg, Ben Walker was sooo effin' bad. Grrr...

    I recommend to check out "Abraham Lincoln vs Zombies" which is way sillier, way funnier, much more badass, and the actor who plays Lincoln is surprisingly outstanding!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I will certainly check that one out!

      Delete

You might also like..