Tuesday 25 June 2013

Review: 28 Weeks Later (2007)

28 Weeks Later
IMDB rate: 7,0
Genre: Zombie

It has been quite some time since I last saw this movie, and in contrast with 28 Days Later I've only seen this movie once. The first time I saw it I thought it was a reasonable movie, but now I've seen it again, I actually quite like it. 

28 Weeks Later is a very good movie with an excellent cast. I was a bit disappointment that this movie didn't continue the story of Jim (Cillian Murphy) and Selena (Naomie Harris) because I really liked them in the previous movie. Nevertheless, it's still an excellent movie with this storyline.


28 Weeks Later picks up six months after the Rage Virus has decimated the city of London. The US Army has restored order and is repopulating the quarantined city, when a carrier of the Rage Virus enters London and unknowingly re-ignites the spread of the deadly infection and the nightmare begins... again.

The acting in this movie is excellent. The cast includes Jeremy Renner, Rose Byrne, Robert Carlyle and Imogen Poots and they are all amazing in this movie. I mentioned in one of my previous reviews that I really dislike Jeremy Renner, and I still don't like him as an actor but I must admit that he is quite good in this movie and I definitely think this is one of his better performances. Seeing Robert Carlyle as a zombie is also very amusing. 
The images in this movie are also shot amazing. Again, an empty London. I still can't get over the fact how difficult that must be to achieve. Some parts were a bit hard to follow though, too shaky and too much going on, which makes it difficult to follow the story. The director is not Danny Boyle this time, but Juan Carlos Fresnadillo, someone who I'm not familiar with, but I must say that he did an excellent job with this movie.


There are a lot more jump scares in this movie compared to 28 Days Later, some scenes, like the night-vision scene in the subway, are quite scary. I also like how some people can be immune for the virus, it gives an interesting twist to the story and proves that not all hope for humanity is lost. The scene that I enjoyed most was the Helicopter scene, where all the zombies were chopped by the propeller. Filled with blood and body parts, amazing.

I'm still hoping for 28 Months Later to come someday. At some point there actually was an IMDB page for it and there were some plans for it, but unfortunately, it was cancelled all. I believe Danny Boyle did react on the possibility of 28 Months Later and I believe he said that it will probably never happen. It's quite a shame because I think it can be an amazing ending for a trilogy. Crossed fingers!


28 Weeks Later is a solid movie. Great cast, beautiful images, the right soundtrack and I think the storyline is quite nice. I really enjoyed watching this movie again and I think it's an excellent sequel for 28 Days Later.

My personal rate: 8/10

No comments:

Post a Comment

You might also like..