Saturday 15 June 2013

Review: V/H/S (2012)

V/H/S
IMDB rate: 5,7
Genre: Found-Footage, Supernatural

So I finally got around watching V/H/S, I've wanted to see this movie for quite some time but I never got around watching it. I was very impressed by the trailer, but it was not really what I expected from it. From what I've heard, many people disliked the movie and expected a whole different movie than what it was. I did not really disliked the movie but it was a whole lot less scary than what I've expected. 

What did I expect from it? Well, I'm not quite sure. From the trailer I've expected sick torturing or sacrifices. I don't know, but I do know that I expected a whole lot more from it then what it was. Some of the tapes were just lame, and not even slightly shocking or scary. Sure, it had some scary elements but the trailer showed them all already so it was nothing new unfortunately. The movie seemed to be all about tits and evil woman in the end, so kinda boring if you ask me.


This is an anthology of horror episodes that are tied together with one main story. It's about a group of guys who go round filming their crimes on tape. They are hired to do a 'job' for an unknown accomplice. They have to break in to a house and steal a V/H/S tape with something on it, but they aren't told what it is. While in the said house they find way more than just one tape, so they grab as many as they can and they start watching them while in the house. But what they see on these tapes is more than they can handle, and it's also hard to believe. But will it cost them more than they bargained for?

This movie reminded me of a whole lot other horror movies. It was like some segments were inspired by other horror movies or such. It was not that it was exactly the same but it had some of the same elements in them. For example, Grave Encounters, The Tapes, Blair Witch and The Last Exorcism. One segment even reminded me of the game Slender Man. But like I already said, it's not an exact copy, just some parts of it seem to be inspired by one of those movies. It's not really a bad thing because at some point everything has been done already so it's getting hard to be original. 

The acting was reasonable, in some segments not that good and in some a little bit better. While the movie was not what I expected from it, I did like it. Some parts did creep me out, but it could have been much better. I've heard that V/H/S/2 is a lot better compared to this movie so I'm excited to watch it at some point.


This movie existed from different segments and they appeared in this order: Tape 56, Amateur Night, Second Honeymoon, Tuesday the 17th, The Sick Thing That Happened to Emily When She Was Younger and 10/31/1998. Tape 56 was the main story that you saw every time a segment ended.
I will list each segment in the order that I liked them.

1. Amateur Night
This segment appears to be the favorite one of everybody. Which isn't strange because it was simply the best one. The girl in this segment immediately creeped me out. Those eyes, oh man, so scary. Because the movie started with this segment (apart from Tape 56) I expected a whole lot from it, because it immediately scared me, that was a wrong thought but it didn't make this segment less good. It was really good, especially compared to the rest. 

2.10/31/1998
I liked this segment because it contained a bit of humor. It had some good jump scares because of suddenly showing ghosts and such but after a while it became a bit lame. From the moment that the guys rescued the lady this segment became boring. It was not even slightly scary anymore. You did care for the guys though because after everything they came back to rescue the lady, and well, when everything goes wrong for them, you actually cared a bit. This is quite something for this movie because for the others in the other segments I couldn't care less what happened to them. 

3. The Sick Thing That Happened to Emily When She Was Younger
Starting from this one it became really dull. The acting was terrible in this segment. Also, the ghost suddenly showing up behind Emily was the only scary thing about it. I don't even understand what the use of this segment was. The ghosts were scary yeah, but what does a fetus and a chip in her arm have to do with ghosts? Kinda lame if you ask me.

4.Tape 56
Everybody in this tape was an asshole. So as you can imagine, I couldn't care less what would happen to them. It had some scary elements in it, like the thing walking in the background or the dead dude sitting in the chair who suddenly disappears and reappears again. But that's about it.

5. Second Honeymoon
Another lame story with terrible acting. A girl knocks on the door, asks something, goes away. Everybody freaks out. Girl sneaks in at night, films them, puts a toothbrush in the toilet (that was a bit funny) and goes away again. Some useless time filling scenes, again the girl with the camera filming the guy, cuts his throat and goes away with the girl. Plot: The woman was part of the plan and wanted her husband killed. Why not a divorce?

6. Tuesday the 17th
This one reminded me of Slender Man. But with pixels. I guess that's the best description: Slender Man in Pixels. Not a good story, not worth talking about.


The movie was not that bad but not good either. It contained some scary elements but most of the movie was boring and had a stupid story. None of the stories are explained so you're mainly unsatisfied after watching it. I'm not sure if I can recommend it. Opinions about the segments differ a lot so you might actually enjoy segments that I did not enjoy. It's not a must see movie but if you like found footage movies you might like it.

My personal rate: 5,5

No comments:

Post a Comment

You might also like..