Friday 7 June 2013

Review: Scream (1996)

Scream
IMDB rate: 7,2
Genre: Slasher

I believe Scream was the very first horror movie that I owned on DVD. The first Scream movie I saw was the third one§, and I loved it. Before I saw this movie I saw Scary Movie and while it's just a funny version of Scream and I know What You Did Last Summer I really liked it. Of course seeing Scream afterwards is not very surprising anymore but it was still a nice movie to watch.

Seeing it now again is a complete different experience for me. I noticed a lot of new things and I think watching all the A Nightmare on Elm Street movies has a big influence in that. As you might already know, Wes Craven is the director of both the Scream and the A Nightmare on Elm Street movies. Later on in this review I'll give a few fun facts that I only just noticed.


One year after the death of Sidney Prescott's (Neve Campbell) mother, two students turn up gutted. When a serial killer appears, Sidney begins to suspect whether her mother's death and the two new deaths are related. No one is safe, as the killer begins to pick everyone off one by one. Everyone's a suspect in this case.

This movie is really fun to watch. I've watched it a lot already but for some reason I never fully paid attention to it. It sure has some cliches in it but in this movie it doesn't mind. It knows it has a lot of horror cliches in it, but it's only making fun of it. I absolutely think this movie was purely made to make fun of all the horror movies, only on a different way than Scary Movie. It's on a more serious way but still with a tiny bit of comedy in it. 


The acting is very good and while those actors weren't that well known back then, they certainly are now. It's nice seeing them back when they were still young. The music is also very nice.

In the beginning of the movie you hear Drew Barrymore talk about the A Nightmare on Elm Street movies. She said 'The first A Nightmare on Elm Street was good, but the rest sucked', the fun part about this is that Wes Craven made the first A Nightmare on Elm Street movie but only wrote parts of the sequels, so he made fun of his own movies, partly. Also, at one point you see the janitor of the school cleaning the hallway, he wears a green/red striped sweater with a black hat. Exactly like Freddy Krueger.
The beginning of the movie is also a big reference to When A Stranger Calls, other movies that you can recognize are Halloween, Psycho and Prom Night. There are also mentioned a lot of other horror movies throughout the movie.

Good things to remember:
1. You will not survive if you have sex.
2. You will not survive if you drink or do drugs
3. You will not survive if you say "I'll be right back".
4. Everyone is a suspect
5. You will not survive if you ask: "Who's there?"
6. You will not survive if you go investigate a strange noise.

There you have it, the things that happen in every horror movie. Thank you Scream for listing them for me. 


I'm actually quite excited to watch Scream 2 and 3 again, so I think I'll start watching those quickly. Maybe I also watch Scream 4 afterwards since I have not seen that one yet. 
I really liked watching this movie again, the first time it was a nice movie but when you've actually watched many of the movie they are mentioning it's even more fun. 

I really recommend watching this movie, especially when you enjoy horror movies with a comedic twist. 

My personal rate: 9

No comments:

Post a Comment

You might also like..