Friday 7 June 2013

Review: Saw IV (2007)

Saw IV
IMDB rate: 5,8
Genre: Torture, Survival, Serial Killer

I already started watching Saw IV, but I had to stop watching. Anyway, today I finally finished watching the movie and while I saw this movie already once or twice before I couldn't remember much of it, since Saw IV, V and VI look a lot like each other. This movie was quite terrible, but since I finished watching all the A Nightmare on Elm Street I figured that watching all the Saw movies shouldn't be that hard. I hope.

This is all getting so confusing. I can't get over the fact that I still have to watch 3 more of these movies, movies that only make all the previous movies more confusing instead of clearer. This movie is already terrible compared to Saw III, so you can imagine how terrible it is. 

The dialogues are so lame: 'What's his problem?' 'Everyone around him keeps dying.' Seriously, that's the best you could do? Isn't it obvious that he has a bit of a problem when he just saw his partner ripped apart? Not only was the dialogue terrible, the acting was awful too. The only reason I'm still watching is because I want to know if the story will even end at some point and if I will ever have all the answers I want. So I'm mainly waiting until I've seen Saw VII. 


Jigsaw and his apprentice Amanda are dead. Now, upon the news of Detective Kerry's murder, two seasoned FBI profilers, Agent Strahm and Agent Perez, arrive in the terrified community to assist the veteran Detective Hoffman in sifting through Jigsaw's latest grisly remains and piecing together the puzzle. However, when SWAT Commander Rigg is abducted and thrust into a game, the last officer untouched by Jigsaw has but ninety minutes to overcome a series of demented traps and save an old friend or face the deadly consequences.

I literally have no idea anymore what they're trying to reach with all these Saw sequels. The more I see, the more terrible they get. And I still have three more to go... 

Like I already mentioned, the dialogues are terrible and so is the acting. That's already terrible enough but what's even more important is the storyline. It just hops from one storyline to another. Now they're continuing Saw II again and small parts of Saw III, but the story one got more confusing while the movie was going. 



The first problem with this movie is why Officer Rigg was even chosen to be part of Jigsaw's game. The reason Jigsaw gave for this is that he cares too much for saving people. Why would that even be a bad thing? At first Jigsaw was at least doing things to drug addicts and other bad people, but punishing a cop because he cares too much?! That's seriously the lamest excuse ever. Another thing is, when he (of course) did not make it to safe Eric, it was shown that it was because he shouldn't enter doors that aren't double checked. When the time is running out and you've already seen that many people die in 90 minutes time, you probably only care about saving Eric Matthews, and of course you open that door for doing that. Because any logical person will figure that he will die in those 10 seconds left, right? But no, that's bad because he should have double checked the door and he should be late, because that's what would have saved him. How incredibly un-logical is that. 

It's one thing that the chosen victims don't really suit Jigsaw's own philosophy but his traps are only getting more difficult to escape from too. Trying to be a good cop is not a bad thing that he should be punished for. And trying not to save everybody else is not very logical when all the clues are leading him to the people that needed to be saved. He choose his job because he wanted to save people, what the hell is wrong with that?!

You also saw Jeff for a few seconds, yeah that's the guy from Saw III. He showed up, alive, asked where his daughter was and got shot. Of course, how original, a familiar character that didn't survive the movie. So that's another thing, you still don't know where the daughter is, and you also don't know if you will ever find out. 

The typical Hollywood mistake, every cop is doing everything alone. Even officer Rigg hardly left clues where he went to and what happened. He could have asked for back-up since there was noboby who could stop him, but no, let's all do this alone. Or Agent Strahm, suddenly running off, alone, because he knew where Rigg was (he probably didn't tell anybody), and getting trapped in the building a few minutes later. 
So what's the story now, Agent Strahm is trapped, might become another Jigsaw victim or will just never get out. Agent Rigg is shot but you don't know if he survived. Probably not. Agent Hoffman suddenly appears to be a Jigsaw helper so Saw V will probably tell his story how he became his accomplice. 

Main thing is, it's all very predictable and it's getting very boring by now. I seriously don't understand how they ever came to the thought of making another sequel. All I can hope for now is that Saw V, Saw VI or Saw VII will be a lot less confusing and a lot less boring. 


There are still many things that need to be figures out, here are a few:
  • What happened to Dr. Laurence Gordon?
  • What happened to Jeff's daughter?
  • Why was Kerry even chosen to be a Jigsaw victim? 
I'm not even sure if I will ever find out but I'm hoping that I will, eventually. 

The storyline was terrible, the acting was terrible and the dialogues were terrible. Hell, even the special effects weren't that special. I liked watching Saw III because it was so cruel and filled with torturing and special effects and such. Saw IV unfortunately doesn't even contain that. It has a bit of torturing, but it's very weak compared to what we saw in the previous movie. 

I don't recommend watching this movie, I would just stop with watching at Saw II. Maybe if you like the special effects you could watch Saw III but I suggest that you shouldn't even start with watching that one. Saw IV makes the story only more complicated and not even slightly more interesting. 

My personal rate: 3,5

No comments:

Post a Comment

You might also like..